Sterling Silver and Velvet Jewelry Box with Key, Tiffany and Company, New York, NY, 1917-1947
Charles L. Tiffany and John B. Young’s partnership, which began in 1837 and specialized in stationery and fancy goods, only faintly resembled its modern day descendent of Tiffany and Company. Tiffany and Young’s expansion to 271 Broadway in 1847 enabled the firm to add an array of fine silverware and jewelry. They contracted from only the best artisans, establishing their brand for quality and excellence. Tiffany and Company’s business and design acumen during the next twenty years culminated in their winning the grand prize for silver craftsmanship at the 1867 Exposition Universelle in Paris. The addition of Edward C. Moore a year later cemented the firm as international leaders in the silver industry that continues today.
2 1/4” height, 4 3/8” length, 7 1/8” width.