Sterling Silver Coffee Pot, Bailey and Company, Philadelphia, PA, Working 1848-1878
Bailey and Company's roots began with the partnership of Joseph Bailey and Andrew Kitchens in 1832. The firm changed to Bailey and Company sixteen years later following various changes in their principle partners. Evidence indicates that Bailey and Company added silver manufacturing to its jewelry and extensive importation of fancy goods, when they hired Irishman, George B. Sharp. Sharp, known for his exceptional quality and fine craftsmanship, work with the firm from approximately 1852 until 1860. During that time, Bailey and Company promoted their use of the trademarks consisting of a lion, a "S" and a shield, which guaranteed their wares to be of the English sterling standard. Eight years after Sharp's departure, Bailey and Company reverted to manufacturing jewelry and retailing of silverware. Since 1878 consumers of luxury goods and exceptional jewelry have been more familiar with the present name of the company: Bailey, Banks and Biddle.
12" height. 51 troy ounces.