German 800/1000 Solid Silver Cow Creamer, Circa 1900
The cow creamer gained international popularity in eighteenth century England. Scholars attribute its origin to Dutch silversmith, John Schuppe. After immigrating to London, he registered as a large plateworker on June 28, 1753. Its novelty and appeal crossed socioeconomic boundaries and led to widespread ceramic production of this form. The cow's tail comprises the handle. The feet are marked with the standard German national hallmark used after 1886, a crescent moon and crown and the metal composition of 800 parts pure silver and 200 parts other metals.
3 1/2" height, 5 5/8" width. 6.48 troy ounces.