English Sterling Silver Biscuit Box on Stand, John Hunt and Robert Roskell, London, 1868-1869
Founded in 1843, this renowned firm held the Royal Warrant for Queen Victoria. They succeed the most celebrated English silversmith of the nineteenth century, Paul Storr.
Storr formed a partnership with John Mortimer a few years after leaving Rundell, Bridge and Rundell. In 1826, John Samuel Hunt joined the firm armed with a £5000 investment. Storr retired 12 years later, leaving Mortimer and Hunt to shape their new brand identity. When the former retired in 1843, the firm evolved once again and became Hunt and Roswell, with JS Hunt, John Hunt, Robert Roskell, Jr., and Charles F. Hancock.
They focused on developing lavish silver and jewelry lines. Their display at the Great Exhibition of 1851 was reportedly worth £100,000. They also exhibited in New York and Paris to similar acclaim. Their creativity and determination paid off when they were granted a Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria. They recognized this achievement by adding a crown to their mark, as seen on this biscuit box.
Hunt and Roskell grew to employ over 125 people by the 1860s and welcomed the next generation at the helm with Allan Roskell and John Mortimer Hunt. By 1889, with the passing of John Hunt and Robert Roskell, the remaining members decided to dissolve the partnership and sell the business. It was acquired by J W Benson and finally closed at the end of the 1960s.
Standard, duty, and sponsor's hallmarks on finial.
Standard hallmark on nut
Standard hallmark on lid
Full set of hallmarks on tray
Marked on bottom:
Hunt & Roskell
Storr & Mortimer
6 1/4" height, 7 1/4" length, 9 1/8" width. 35.49 troy ounces.